Calling all Memories

So, I've been thinking about a way to get some of the Namibia '05 crew to let us know how they're doing. I've got to believe that many of you check out the blogs every so often, just to see if anyone else has posted.
What I came up with was that I would post a random picture and try to invoke some memories or stories about the picture itself.
I'm hoping you'll post a comment or two that might be related to the picture, or perhaps something totally unrelated that comes to mind about the trip.
I know for myself, the trip seems so long ago. Yet, it was only a few short months. What are your thoughts? Has anyone had any "out of africa" thoughts or experiences?
Have you heard something - a song perhaps, maybe a conversation, something on television or the radio that brought back a memory from the trip you would like to share?
How was the music what you heard that day different from anything you had ever heard before? Maybe it wasn't so different...
Why is it something as universal as music can bridge many cultures, that despite not being a part of that culture, you can still relate with? Is it a beat, the rhythm, a cadence?
Without the music, could you or would you have had the same connection with this group of boys... on their side of the world?

1 Comments:
though I was not present for the events of that picture, that room brings back many memories for me. The common room, as it was called, was the setting for many great late night conversations as well as the birth of the "slumber crew" that ironically did very little slumbering.
I have missed those late night chances to talk. I have found myself many times wishing for a good camp fire and friends from the trip and supporting parents of the girls to surround the fire.
Don, I agree with your sentiments on the power of music to connect and bring together. there is something beautiful about a song that you connect with a place or memory and that every time you hear it you think of that time and place or a group of friends. I knonw for me that I will never listen to a Jason Mraz song without thinking of this summer.
Looking forward to hearing from others.
Post a Comment
<< Home